Saturday, February 1, 2014

Simple

"Amplification through simplification" is a simple expression that encompasses a very complex process. McCloud challenges us to realize this through his comic not only by explaining how this is effective but ultimately using the comic to demonstrate the power of icons and how simplification can leave a more profound resonance that perhaps a more intricate design could.

This notion is powerful.

I firmly believe simplicity is always better. "K.I.S.S.", or 'Keep it simple, stupid', is an acronym I was introduced to early on and it has dictated a lot of my approaches to design. It is far more pleasant to look at less busy pieces of art, websites and much more. Simplicity also gives off an aura of professionalism.

Straight lines, simple expressions, solid colors--all modes to achieve amplification through simplification. For this reason I always evaluate my piece of work when I am done and question if it is too busy, because, ultimately, if it is too busy, chances are it is also annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment