Saturday, February 1, 2014

Having the audacity to use Audacity

Audacity has been no easy task for me, despite my experience with sound editing software. There is always a learning curve that needs to be confronted for any new program. As I learned the intricacies of the programs, however, I found it to be far and away more advanced than programs I had messed around with in the past. The editing functions allowed me to have full control over what I wanted the podcast to sound like; I had the power to control spikes in audio where I was too close to the mic, and, likewise, had the power to increase the volume in instances where I was too far from the mic. I was also able to delete unnecessary silence (which ultimately cut 30 seconds from the podcast). With these tools at my disposal I feel I was able to showcase my idea and writing in the best way possible.

When recording the actual podcast while using the script I found that you are not bound to the script. In fact, the script serves more as a skeleton to the podcast that is to be followed, but not necessarily word-for-word. Because I enlisted the help of my best friend Alex, when he read the script the first time through he often had a hard time reading it naturally because it was my writing, not his. I was forced, then, to realize that he doesn't need to follow my script verbatim, but more so just use what I wrote for a point in the right direction for what I'd like him to say. This made the recording process more natural, especially when compared to our first run through.

No comments:

Post a Comment